Student Direct Stream (SDS) Program which streamlines the process for Philippines, Vietnam, China & India:
It was announced several times recently that study direct stream was to be implemented in February 2018 and then in March 2018 to India and finally it has now been officially announced on 8th of June 2018 in the above-said countries. Most SPP colleges had implemented the SDS program requirements already, which impacted their overall student numbers from India. The key change that will impact the overall numbers is increasing the IELTS band score from 5.5 each skill to 6.0 each skill for the post-secondary diploma programs. It has been witnessed that Canadian SPP Colleges have received student applications over their capacity in recent past intakes and turnaround time for a letter of acceptance has also gone up from 2 weeks to 6-8 weeks. The key reason is that there are only 47 SPP Colleges in Canada and Indian students prefer to study at one of them not only for quality education but also for streamlined visa processing and positive visa outcomes.
What is Student Direct Stream (SDS) Program
Some international students can get their study permits faster by using the Student Direct Stream. If your application is complete, it can be started reviewing by Immigration right away.
If your application meets the regular study permit criteria but not the Student Direct Stream criteria, it will be reviewed as a regular study permit but you won’t get faster processing.
The Student Direct Stream (SDS) Program is a program that will speed up the processing for the full-time studies attending universities and colleges in Canada for students of the above-said countries. The SDS Program is supported by Scotiabank, a leading Canadian financial institution. Scotiabank will provide eligible students with the opportunity to purchase a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC), which will satisfy the financial statement requirements of the SDS program.
SDS Program Requirements
Students applying for a program under SDS must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Admission to a full-time program in a publicly-funded post-secondary institution such as universities, colleges, institutes or CEGEP;
- An IELTS score with a minimum band of 6 for each ability (Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking) taken within past two years;
- Purchase of a special Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from Scotiabank of CAD$10,000 to cover living expenses for the first year of stay in Canada;
- Proof of payment of the tuition fee for one (1) year; AND
- Upfront medical examination at least one week before submission of the application.
Advantages of applying under SDS
The major advantages of applying under SDS are:
The streamlined visa process for all SDS eligible institutions.
- Less financial documentation.
- Faster visa processing time.
What are the advantages of studying in Canada?
- World-class institutions
- Lower cost
- The safe and healthy environment for students
- Work while studying
- Eligible for Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP)
- Opportunity to Apply for Permanent Resident in Canada